HarmonyOS is an exciting new operating system developed by Huawei as an open-source alternative to Android. With HarmonyOS, you can enjoy a faster, smoother, and more secure experience on your Android device.
This step-by-step guide will teach you how to install HarmonyOS on any Android device, whether it’s a phone, tablet, or TV. We’ll cover:
- Benefits of switching to HarmonyOS
- Compatibility – Which devices support HarmonyOS
- Requirements to install HarmonyOS
- Step-by-step tutorial for installation
- Extra apps and customization
Why Switch to HarmonyOS?
Here are the main benefits of installing HarmonyOS:
- 🚀Faster performance – Up to 24% increased system responsiveness over Android 10
- 📱Better cross-device connectivity – Seamless experience across laptops, mobiles and wearables
- 🔒Enhanced security – Microkernel design improves security
- 🔋Increased battery life – Intelligent power saving features like UPFS
- 🎨Customizable UI – Change themes, icon packs, launchers and AOD displays
Is My Device Compatible With HarmonyOS?
HarmonyOS is still in early stages, so full compatibility is limited. As of Nov 2023, here are the lists of compatible devices:
|Huawei Devices (Phones/Tablets)
|Other OEM Devices
For Smart TVs, Honor Vision and Huawei Vision are currently the only ones supporting HarmonyOS.
If your device is not on the list, don’t be disheartened! The list keeps expanding every few months as more manufacturers partner with HarmonyOS. Alternatively, check this guide for installing HarmonyOS even with partial compatibility.
Requirements & Preparation
Before starting the installation process, ensure your device:
- Is updated to Android 10 or higher
- Has at least 8GB Storage space
- Is 60% charged to avoid switching off during installation
- Has data backed up in case of system errors
Also prepare these in advance:
- Download the latest HarmonyOS firmware for your device from the official website
- HarmonyOS compatible custom ROMs like OpenHarmony or Atom OS. More options here.
- Install drivers like HiSuite, ADB and Fastboot tools on your Windows PC
Step-By-Step Installation Tutorial
Follow these step-by-step instructions to install HarmonyOS on your Android device:
1. Unlock Bootloader & Enable ROOT
- Power off your phone and reboot to Fastboot mode (press volume + power)
- Connect phone to PC via USB cable
- Unlock bootloader by typing this command:
fastboot oem unlock
- Once unlocked, enable ROOT permissions with Magisk app
- If facing issues, follow this guide
2. Backup Data & Install Custom Recovery
- With ROOT enabled, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps+data
- Download TWRP recovery img from here
- Flash the TWRP recovery image using below command:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- Once booted into recovery, backup current ROM
3. Factory Reset the Device
- From TWRP recovery, perform factory reset
- This will erase all data so restore it later
- If stuck, enter recovery commands manually:
4. Flash HarmonyOS ROM Zip
- Copy the HarmonyOS firmware ROM zip to phone storage or SD card
- In TWRP recovery, select ‘Install’ and navigate to the ROM .zip file
- Swipe to flash the ROM – device will automatically reboot
Note: If phone gets bricked, retry from step 1 after unbricking the device.
5. Initial Setup of HarmonyOS
- Complete the initial setup like language, WiFi, login etc
- Restore your apps+data backup using Titanium backup
- Enjoy exploring HarmonyOS! The UI is very similar to EMUI so easy to adapt
Extra HarmonyOS Customization & Apps
After installing HarmonyOS, explore these customization features:
- Multi-device experience – Use Huawei ID to connect mobiles, laptops and wearables. Share files and notifications between them.
- Themes – Download themes and icon packs from Theme Store to personalize look
- Always On Display – Customize lock screen visuals, activities and widgets
- HUAWEI Assistant – Voice assistant similar to Google Assistant
- More apps – Explore App Gallery which has many apps optimized for HarmonyOS.
Some limitations like Play Store access, push notifications and location accuracy will persist. Follow this post-installation guide to mitigate those.
And that’s how you can enjoy the smooth HarmonyOS experience on your Android device! Let me know in comments if you need help in any installation step or customizing your device further.
Here is more content covering additional topics you suggested on installing HarmonyOS on Android devices:
Expanding HarmonyOS Compatibility
While Huawei’s own smartphones like the recent P50 series and foldable devices get priority access to HarmonyOS updates, the company aims to bring the OS to more brands eventually.
Huawei is pushing to make HarmonyOS the third biggest mobile OS platform after Android and iOS. It has opened the OS to other manufacturers looking to build Android-powered devices without relying on Google’s ecosystem.
Several Chinese smartphone makers like Xiaomi, Oppo and Meizu have announced plans to adopt HarmonyOS. With China being the world’s largest smartphone market, this will significantly boost HarmonyOS adoption.
The OS is expected to first launch in the Chinese market on popular models from brands like Xiaomi, Vivo and OnePlus. Wider international availability will follow later.
HarmonyOS for Developers
For developers, Huawei provides extensive documentation to port HarmonyOS to new mobile devices.
Tools like the VM emulator, IDE kits and demo UIs make it easy for app developers to design HarmonyOS-compatible apps. This helps populate the OS ecosystem.
To incentivise contributions, Huawei also offers monetary rewards and exposure through the OS App Innovation Contest. This encourages field-expert developers to build innovative HarmonyOS apps tailored for devices like foldable smartphones.
The open-source access allows students and hobby developers to easily try out HarmonyOS builds for their Android devices. Following porting guides online, even novice developers can manually build HarmonyOS to work on unsupported hardware as a fun side project.
So HarmonyOS offers plenty of opportunities to develop localized OS builds and optimized applications for the growing Chinese user base.
The Future of HarmonyOS
Despite sanctions limiting access to Google services, Huawei has big plans to establish HarmonyOS as a strong contender in the mobile landscape.
With deep optimization for AI, IoT ecosystem and connectivity there is potential. And by partnering with other Chinese brands, HarmonyOS could dominate the massive Asian market share comprising over a billion smartphone users.
So HarmonyOS on third-party Android phones promises an interesting alternative OS experience with faster performance and modern connectivity options. While still early in development, it will be an exciting open-source platform to watch out for!